Strapaholics - here's a place for us to discuss our addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strapaholics - here's a place for us to discuss our addiction

Some may think I have a problem. I don't care. I'm addicted to straps....

I think one of the main reasons other than design aesthetics that we are attracted to the brand is just how versatile most Panerai references are with various strap combinations, materials and colors. For me the most enjoyable aspect of the hobby (aside from unboxing a new watch) is buying and changing straps. I don't think there is another watch brand that has the incredible amount of strap makers as resources to enable the visual transformation of your watch.

I know that there are many Risti that probably never stray from the OEM strap that came with their watch - nothing wrong with that at all and there have been some great OEM straps over the years.

This thread is intended for the strapaholics to post their collections, new purchases, experiences with strap makers and favorite combinations. Hopefully we can create a good reference point to help Risti's to browse, gather ideas and educate themselves.

I'll start with a picture I just took while organizing one of my strap drawers...

I disagree. Most people stray from oem. And I would guess within 48 hours. They want to dress their baby doll so it is more personal not stock.

Comment

Here's a couple of interesting straps I commissioned from my favorite maker - Cordes. One in 24mm and the other in 26mm - both made from 'Russian Leather' that is over 265 years old and laid at the bottom of the Plymouth Sound off the coast of England for 200 years....

You can see how different the color tones of each strap are based on the position of the hide in the bundle.

Interesting article - https://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/28/n...r-the-sea.html

Really quite unique.

Last edited by Priester; 01-07-2023, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• 997targa
        997targa commented
        Editing a comment
        That is really interesting. This sort of story within the story is one of the things which attracts me to the ammo straps. Awesome find.

• PaddyC
        PaddyC commented
        Editing a comment
        They are stunning. Great history. X

• wiseman
        wiseman commented
        Editing a comment
        Love a Cordes strap!

A few of them…

Click image for larger version

Name:	4509AC73-CDAC-42AA-AC0D-4D4E3031AAFD.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	1100

Comment

I have had hundreds of straps and I have learnt a lot about leather work and it has been fun times. At some point looking back, I only wore a few of them for long enough to see that leather only becomes more beautiful over time and that the strap develops history along with the watch. Therefore, I ended up with a handful of very carefully selected straps than I enjoy as much as the watch. To that handful always belong the OEM straps that some of them are actually of very good quality and much better than their reputation. OEM straps I think, also always have proportions that fit the PAM, aftermarket straps are imo generally way to bulky.

Comment

Originally posted by paneristipics View Post
          I have had hundreds of straps and I have learnt a lot about leather work and it has been fun times. At some point looking back, I only wore a few of them for long enough to see that leather only becomes more beautiful over time and that the strap develops history along with the watch. Therefore, I ended up with a handful of very carefully selected straps than I enjoy as much as the watch. To that handful always belong the OEM straps that some of them are actually of very good quality and much better than their reputation. OEM straps I think, also always have proportions that fit the PAM, aftermarket straps are imo generally way to bulky.
          Aftermarket are bulky as majority of makers do fold over straps rather than splitting leathers and making from separate pieces which requires more skill. This way you can adjust the thickness of the leather sections

DON

Comment

We can't have a strap thread without paying our respects to the originator of the Paneristi ammo strap - Kevin Rogers aka Adeeos.

Here are three that I'll keep in my collection forever - two are signed, one has never been mounted and one is a unique (from what I was told) heavily distressed strap with a perfect lining that was made from a 'pull out' strap. This strap would have been tucked under each magazine on the Soldier's ammunition belt and pulled to easily release them - hence the dramatic looking wear.

Comment

• 2104me
              2104me commented
              Editing a comment
              Look great...need to get mine out now!

A strap problem is when you don't have enough straps, not too many

Comment

I found a more detailed article regarding the 'Metta' leather for those interested:

The remarkable story of the leather recovered from the Metta Catharina shipwreck, rescued and usable after 200 years underwater. The Identity Store had the privilege of stocking a reproduction version of this leather - sadly now sold out, but the story is well worth a read....

Comment

Originally posted by Priester View Post
                I found a more detailed article regarding the 'Metta' leather for those interested:

The remarkable story of the leather recovered from the Metta Catharina shipwreck, rescued and usable after 200 years underwater. The Identity Store had the privilege of stocking a reproduction version of this leather - sadly now sold out, but the story is well worth a read....

I want a strap of this in the strongest way…

Comment

He sure was an artist

Comment

• Priester
                    Priester commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd love to see some more pictures of that painted french beauty...

Some may think I have a problem. I don't care. I'm addicted to straps....

I think one of the main reasons other than design aesthetics that we are attracted to the brand is just how versatile most Panerai references are with various strap combinations, materials and colors. For me the most enjoyable aspect of the hobby (aside from unboxing a new watch) is buying and changing straps. I don't think there is another watch brand that has the incredible amount of strap makers as resources to enable the visual transformation of your watch.

I know that there are many Risti that probably never stray from the OEM strap that came with their watch - nothing wrong with that at all and there have been some great OEM straps over the years.

This thread is intended for the strapaholics to post their collections, new purchases, experiences with strap makers and favorite combinations. Hopefully we can create a good reference point to help Risti's to browse, gather ideas and educate themselves.

I'll start with a picture I just took while organizing one of my strap drawers...

I agree. I find straps as exciting as the PAMs themselves. The Panerai community has some incredible artisan strap makers who all have their unique personality that is evident in their straps. Getting to know the makers, searching for the perfect hide, handling and mounting the finished strap, ultimately finding your perfect size (length, thickness, hole placement, etc), and finding the perfect strap(s) for each PAM is a great feeling.

There have been several PAMs that I’ve fallen out of love with only because I couldn’t find a good strap pairing and once either I found the perfect pairing, or saw someone else with a perfect strap pairing, I immediately fell in love with the PAM again. Very happy to see this thread.

Some of my favorite strap makers are Cordes, Kostas, Micah, Stephenko Oleg, Kok Peg Lim of M75kplim, Yusk, Keith of AZCodman, and Kyros. All of which, in my mind, have their speciality.

I will also say that being somewhat new to Panerai (first PAM in 2012ish, but didnt actively participate in the community until 2020), I am disappointed that I wasn’t able to try straps from some of the pioneers of strap making who are no longer with us including Kevin Rogers (Adeeos) and Simona. Very envious of those of you with an Adeeos french ammo and a numbered Simona Bruno Allegrini Diver.

We can't have a strap thread without paying our respects to the originator of the Paneristi ammo strap - Kevin Rogers aka Adeeos.

Here are three that I'll keep in my collection forever - two are signed, one has never been mounted and one is a unique (from what I was told) heavily distressed strap with a perfect lining that was made from a 'pull out' strap. This strap would have been tucked under each magazine on the Soldier's ammunition belt and pulled to easily release them - hence the dramatic looking wear.

To add a minor detail here: Bruce Ginsberg came up with the idea to make a strap out of an ammo pouch but Kevin Rogers was the first to execute on that idea.
                  Last edited by BryanMess; 01-30-2023, 01:15 PM.

Comment

His buckles, choice of ammo leather, painted French ammo

Comment

Hello all. I am a newer member who added a beautiful Rubber B strap to my Pam 111. I am considering a brown leather strap as well for a different look. Does anyone have a Vintager strap? I am looking at the Sentinel Gold model. I have 7.5” wrist and am thinking of the 135/85 length. Any opinions or photos are appreciated. Many thanks!

Comment

I'd love to see some more pictures of that painted french beauty...
                        Here you go

Comment

Working...
                        X