Service advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service advice

Following up to a Facebook post a week or two back. Dropped my aging 312 off at the NYC Hudson Yards boutique for service.

Was hoping to keep original hands and dial as well.

Rep said I could kind of pick and choose by clicking the boxes of what I wanted and didn't want done.

Looks the the hands have to be replaced no matter what.

I know we're not talking vintage Rolex here but....

1. Anyone ever been able to find a way around this?

2. If you've had the hands replaced but not the dial, is it very noticable at night when they glow??

They also mentioned the dial coating was "peeling". What's the story on that? Obviously I can't see it myself but should I be worried?

Thanks All!!!!

Mike

I sent my 312 in for service for the first time this year, since purchasing it new in 2011/2012. They replaced the hands and suggested replacing the dial. I did not have them replace the dial as it looks perfect to me. They didn't recommend replacing the bezel, which I was sure they would, since it has taken a lot of abuse. I had them service the watch, repair the quick strap change lug button which recently failed (no charge), replace the hands, polish the case, replace the bezel and the crystal. Didn't notice any difference in the hands and the watch looks like new. I did have one issue, when the watch came back it wasn't working. The rotor did not move and winding the crown didn't start the watch. Sent it back and a week later they returned it in working condition. I never received a reason why the watch was sent back after servicing not functioning. That being said, its been working perfectly.

Comment

Ok cool. Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping this is a smooth process

Comment

Manufactures do it because they say the hands become loose once removed, but that’s just BS. I’ve removed vintage hands from watches and they’re still tight.

as far as I know. They won’t re-use tritium hands, so owners don’t send their watches in or shouldn’t.

If your dial is luminova and no change from previous years. Shouldn’t see any difference.

DON

Comment

• MLCdmd
          MLCdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Don!

That was my argument at the boutique that I watch all these videos online where people are just popping hands off without seeming to destroy them.

But it fell on unsympathetic ears.

Glad to know there likely won't be a difference in the glow.
      Working...
      X